WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED:
Teacher teams are an essential “tool” for establishing authentic collaboration among pedagogical staff. Teacher teams are an essential tool for school improvement, innovation, etc. School Quality Review, Principal’s Performance Observations, School Environment Survey, etc. all consider the existence of teacher teams and their effectiveness.
Help establish an atmosphere that promotes authentic distributive leadership
Engage in action research
Use tuning protocols to improve tasks, challenges, etc
Examine student work
Teams at NMSSJ
– 2017-2018 –
- Social Studies, Science, Math, ELA, PE. LOTE and Art will be assigned to a
- Each content team will be assigned a Team Leader. Where possible, content team leaders will be the pedagogues who sit on the Instructional Cabinet.
- Content Teams will meet at least twice a week during 6th or 7th period.
- Eskolta Team: Rubric Creation for Attainments
- ReDesign Team: Instructional improvement and innovation. The establishment of
NMSSJ Model Classrooms.
- Grade Teams.
NMSSJ Content Team
and Teacher Leaders:
The primary goal of the Content Teacher Leaders is to provide leadership and opportunities for collaboration among pedagogues, in a particular content area; content collaboration helps to move the school toward the goal of furthering the development of it’s instructional model, school improvement goals, and innovation plans.
The following are some of the goals of content
leads and the content lead team:
The following staff will act as teacher leaders and content team leaders. Art and LOTE will be temporarily merged into one of the existing teams:
English Language Arts
NNMSSJ Grade team leaders:
The grade-level team leaders contribute to the improvement of instruction in the school through the structures they help to develop that promote collaboration, public learning, and vertical integration. Grade team leaders, along with Administration, helps to construct an atmosphere that is conducive for teachers to learn together and from one another.
The grade-level team leader is responsible for guiding the grade-level team’s work and ensuring it is coordinated with school goals.
- Same goals as the Content Team but with a focus on each grade rather than a specific Content Area.
- Provide leadership in the collection and analysis of data.
- Lead the inquiry process in grade teams.
- Collaborate with administrative team and the content-based team around instructional decisions that meet the goals of the
school’s model and Theory or Action.
- Facilitate team discussions about improving instructional practices.
- Support colleagues to implement instructional strategies effectively.
- Communicate grade level needs and concerns to Administration.
- Plan and assist in the implementation of vertical integration of content and competencies.
- For the 2017-2018 school year: Grade teams will meet at least once a month during Monday PD time.
- Grade team meetings will be lead (where possible) by members of the Instructional Cabinet.
The Instructional Cabinet of Nelson Mandela School for Social Justice major charge is to provide NMSSJ administration with the data based advice and recommendations on all matters pertaining to the support for and enhancement of teaching and student learning. The Instructional Cabinet (IC), along with the building administration, are responsible for ensuring that the goals of the NYC DOE, Superintendence and the EPIC Network are aligned, understandable and cohesive. Instructional Cabinet facilitates dialog with leaders from constituency groups to support effective instructional planning and processes leading to school-wide communication.
The Cabinet draws input from internal and external stakeholders. The IC works directly with the school’s administration, and serves as both an advisory and recommending body. Additional, the IC helps to:
- Improve collegiality among professionals.
- Lead Inquiry during content and grade teams.
- Ensure the implementation of the EPIC/Mandela Model and District Priorities.
- Create a dynamic community of learners.
- Promote continued school renewal, improvement, and innovation
- Communicate consistent instructional practices; explore pedagogical practices and examine the impact of these practices have on student and educator and educator growth and development.
- Improve overall student growth and development as learners.
- For 2017-2018 school year the IC will ground it’s work in DataWise.
- For 2017-2018 school year the IC will meet every Thursday from 3:10 PM-4:10 PM
Instructional Cabinet Members:
Tabari Zaid Bomani | Principal and Founder NMSSJ
F. Underwood | APO
Y. Deng | Science lead and operation manager
Lester Morris | Math lead and NMSSJ Lead teacher
N Braswell | Social Studies Lead and AP teacher and Art Representative
Royce Denis | ELA Lead and AP Teacher
A Castro | SPED Coordinator and LOTE representative
Clyde Chapman | PE and Health
Ellie Weiss | Administrative Assistance and Liaison to external instructional partners.
Marshay Smith | Member